Coniston and Ambleside 1895
Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Westmorland:
These maps normally cover an area of about 18 miles by 12 miles and are especially good at showing railways, roads and canals, and at giving a broad view of a wider area. Each includes an introduction and a more detailed map of a small town or village.
This Inch to the Mile map covers the area from Wast Water eastward to Lake Windermere, and from Grasmere southward to Satterthwaite.Features include Coniston Water, Furness Railway Coniston Branch, part of Eskdale Railway, Furness Fells, Eskdale Fell, etc. On the reverse we include a detailed map of the centre of the village of Coniston, including railway station, Cat Bank, Dixon Ground, Oak Bank, Great Briary Coppice, St Andrew’s church.
It is not possible to list the many hamlets, farmsteads and other topographical features shown on these maps. However, you may find it useful if we list the towns and principal villages or church parishes that are included on this map – Boot, Eskdale Green, Irton Sandon & Melphwaite, Strands, Ulpha Claife, Coniston, Grizedale, Hawkshead, Satterthwaite, Sawrey, Torver,Ambleside, Grasmere, Langdale, Rydal, Skelwi