Brampton & District 1903
Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Cumberland
These maps normally cover an area of about 18 miles by 12 miles and are especially good at showing railways, roads and canals, and at giving a broad view of a wider area. Each includes an introduction and a more detailed map of a small town or village.
This early One Inch Ordnance Survey map covers the area from the eastern suburbs of Carlisle eastward to Featherstone Castle and Blenkinsopp Hall. The only town is Brampton but other features include Naworth Park, much of the Alston Branch railway, several of Lord Carlisle’s mineral lines, Geltsdale, Glendue Fell, Tindale Fells, stretches of Hadrian’s Wall etc. On the reverse we include a detailed map of the village of Wetheral, including Wetheral Abbey, Corby Castle, Great Corby, station, Corby Gates, Holy Trinity church etc. Although most of the One Inch map is in Cumberland, a strip of Northumberland runs down the eastern side. Includes Burtholme, Carlatton, Castle Carrock, Crosby upon Eden, Cumrew, Farlam, Gilsland, Hayton, Hethersgill, Irthington, Kirklinton Middle, Midgeholme, Naworth Park, Scaleby, Upper Denton, Walton, Warwick, Waterhead, Wetheral, Wreay, Blenkinsopp, Featherstone, Greenhead, Kirkhaugh, Knarsdale, Lambley
Alan Godfrey Maps