Maryport and Silloth 1903
Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Cumberland
These maps normally cover an area of about 18 miles by 12 miles and are especially good at showing railways, roads and canals, and at giving a broad view of a wider area. Each includes an introduction and a more detailed map of a small town or village.
This early One Inch Ordnance Survey map covers the Cumbrian Coast area from Silloth to Maryport, including both those towns. We have linked up the two maps for the area. Coverage stretches from Silloth southward to Camerton and Papcastle, and the railways are a major feature in the southern part of the map. On the reverse we include a detailed map of Fothergill and Risehow, showing the West Cumberland Chemical Works, Risehow Colliery and the northern end of Flimby, including Rye Hill and Pennygill Row.
It is not possible to list the many hamlets, farmsteads and other topographical features shown on these maps. However, you may find it useful if we list the towns and principal villages or church parishes that are included on this map – Allonby, Brigham, Broughton Moor, Camerton, Crosscanonby, Dearham, Dovenby, Ellenborough & Ewanrigg, Flimby, Great Broughton, Hayton & Mealo, Holme St Cuthbert, Maryport Netherhall, Oughterside & Allerby, Papcastle, Ribton, Seaton, Silloth, Tallentire.