A Most High-handed Proceeding
Irton and the Right of Way Case 1897-1907
In 1897 the new owner of Irton Hall, on the Lake District’s western fringe, closed footpaths leading to the parish church, triggering a decade long legal dispute.
Contemporary photographs, evidence from over 200 witnesses at a local inquiry and two trials, and a participant’s account written in Cumbrian dialect give an insight into the now disappeared way of life of Irton’s rural community.
Paperback; 210 x 150mm