Carlisle's Suburbs Series
Denton Holme was the Roman route in and out of Carlisle from the west with associated burials alongside the road. Medieval times saw the cutting of a millrace which powered corn mills in a farming area liable to flood.
Away from the flood plain of the Caldew at Seven Wells was a plague hospital to treat those struck down in 1597 and 1598; a place to be avoided but previously a place of pilgrimage. A single earthwork was constructed at Murrell Hill in the Civil War and close by was a 1680s brick kiln. These earlier features have never been investigated by archaeologists.
Before 1800 there was some industry, mostly along the millrace, but little else. It was the building of Nelson Bridge in 1852 that resulted in large-scale housing development. People living in Denton Holme were self-sufficient with all provided for them within the area, not having to travel far to shop, work, worship or to seek entertainment; there was even a cinema. In the 19th century Denton Holme was described as “a friendly village within a city” and it retains that atmosphere today.
Paperback; 296 x 210mm
Colour illustrations and photographs throughout
Other customers bought these...
Hawick to Galashiels
The Waverley Route including the Selkirk Branch
Roger Darsley, Lovett£18.95
Border Union Dream
The story of Britain's boldest railway preservation bid
Great Walks 2 – Lake District£12.99
Britain’s First Black Policeman
The Bowder Stone