Dear Mr. Salvin :
The story of the building of a 19th century Ulverston church
On 5 June 1996, ‘The Westmorland Gazette’ newspaper in Kendal published a story outlining the discovery by John Marsh of an 1828 water colour of the Holy Trinity Church, Ulverston, reputedly by Miles Thompson, architect to the firm, Thompson and Webster of Kendal.
The publicity produced a letter book that had been discovered during a house clearance in Ulverston. On examination these were found to be the copy letters between the clerk of works, William Brocklebank and the London architect, Anthony Salvin, regarding the actual building of the church. Anthony Salvin was later to become one of the most famous architects of his time.
Paperback; 207 x 149mm
Black and white illustrations throughout